Friday, May 19, 2017

Convert a playhouse into a cute chicken coop!

Convert a playhouse into a cute chicken coop!
All of my chicken coops are quite different from each other and today I want to talk about my Silkie coop. We converted a plastic playhouse into a chicken coop. It's so stinking cute, that every time I post a picture somebody says "wait, that's really your coop? I thought it was from Pinterest!" lol Truth is, I can't take much credit for it...it was made that cute. I just added the chickens!

When I was looking to get a coop for my silkies, I had some very definite ideas about what I wanted. I knew it had to be tall enough to walk in. I knew it had to be super cute and I knew I didn't want to do wood again. We already did a wild west themed coop for our first coop so I didn't want a rustic look. Besides, wood coops are very difficult to keep clean. In any coop, poop and dirt end up pretty much everywhere. Walls ceilings...nowhere is off limits. Because of this, I like to power wash my coops yearly. The wood is just a giant pain in the butt to dry out each time you do that. 
                                                                               
Playhouse chicken coop

I was looking for a plastic coop and I had looked at several different sheds and storage units when I came up on a kids playhouse on Craigslist. When we went to look at it, I just fell in love with it. I could absolutely see my silkie chickens living here! It was a Victorian style playhouse with two bay windows, a set of double doors and two single doors. It had cute little porches on the front and back and window boxes for flowers.

The playhouse disassembled fairly easily. Two men took it apart and loaded it onto the trailer. We brought it back here to reassemble it but first we decided we needed to make a base for it. It's a standard wood platform sized exactly to the coop. It's nothing fancy, but it is sturdy.
Read more »
Convert a playhouse into a cute chicken coop!was originally posted by Favorite Chicken Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment